CPAH helps people stay in their homes and communities by providing accessibility improvements, including:
- Accessibility improvements to kitchens and bathrooms
- Widening doorways
- Grab bars
- Other accessibility, health and safety improvements
How it works:
CPAH can provide qualified applicants with accessibility improvements of up to $20,000. At least 50% of the work needs to be accessibility-related; the remaining funds can be used for other life-safety and health repairs.
Homeowners: up to $20,000 assistance is structured as a 0%-interest forgivable loan with no monthly payments. Grants are forgiven 1/60th each month (fully forgiven after 5 years in the home).
Renters: the property owner must agree to the improvements and commit to keeping the unit available for a low-income senior or person with a disability for at least 5 years. The grant is fully forgiven at the completion of the 5-year period.
Home Accessibility Program grants may also be paired with CPAH’s Owner-Occupied Rehabilitation grant program.
Key eligibility criteria:
- Assistance is available to homeowners and renters living anywhere in Lake County or Evanston
- Property value limits apply: $276,000 for Cook County and $271,000 for Lake County
- At least one member of the household must be 62 years old or older or have a disability which substantially limits one or more major life activities
- Renters must get full cooperation from the property owner
- Homeowners and tenants must use the home as their principal residence
- Annual GROSS household income (i.e. the combined pre-tax income from all sources for all members of the household) cannot exceed the below limits. Income limits are based on household size.
For Questions and How to apply:
Please call 847.263.7478 ext. 10 or email email@example.com if you have questions.
For a pre-screening to determine potential eligibility, call 847.263.7478 ext. 10 or fill out our Pre-Screening PDF in English or Spanish and return it to us by:
Drop off or Mail to:
800 S Milwaukee Ave. Ste 201
Libertyville, IL 60048