PROVIDING AFFORDABLE HOMES IN HIGHLAND PARK, LAKE FOREST and EVANSTON
COMMUNITY PARTNERS FOR AFFORDABLE HOUSING (CPAH) is a nonprofit that provides permanently affordable housing (both ownership and rental) for those who struggle to meet their basic human need of housing. CPAH is one of the few entities addressing the lack of safe, decent affordable housing in the region and it is the only entity that builds a permanent inventory of housing which will remain affordable forever to address the communities’ current and future affordable housing needs.
- CPAH helps bridge the gap between the high cost of housing and the incomes of many low- to moderate-income households who live and work in the community - healthcare workers, school employees, retail staff, childcare providers, seniors, municipal employees, nonprofit staff, persons with disabilities and other community members experiencing personal or economic hardships.
- People need affordable housing for myriad reasons. There are those whose jobs don’t pay enough to secure safe, decent housing in the community, and there are those, for instance, who experienced a change of circumstances such as divorce or loss of a household income earner. Whatever the reason, safe, decent affordable housing is a basic human need and an anchor.
CPAH currently partners with the cities of Highland Park, Evanston and Lake Forest in order to address affordable housing. The organization is widely recognized as a leader throughout the region. CPAH operates the first community land trust program in Illinois and remains at the forefront of permanently affordable housing.
BENEFITS TO THE COMMUNITY
- Provides housing opportunities for low- and moderate-income households
- Rehabilitates problem or blighted properties in the community
- Develops an inventory of housing in the community that will remain affordable forever to assist family after family
- Maximizes the cost-effectiveness of public and private investment for long-term community benefit
- Promotes cultural and economic diversity
- Preserves the community’s existing housing stock
- Assists local businesses to attract and retain employees
- Creates valuable workforce housing
- Helps communities comply with the Illinois Affordable Housing Planning and Appeal Act